You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac mini won't connect to my Canon printer

When trying to connect the printer to a new MaC MINI (running Monterey 12.2.1) it asks for the driver. Canon says there is no driver needed. This same Canon PIXMA MX870 works just fine on my MacBook Air and I never had to install anything in order to get it to work. What now????

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:28 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 5, 2022 12:20 PM in response to andyfromwaukesha

Hi andyfromwaukesha,

Does your MacBook Air run the same version of macOS as your Mac mini? Also, is this for bringing wirelessly or printing when connected through a USB cable? This could be an important distinction as the Canon PIXMA MX870 page lists that "Unfortunately your device is no longer supported under the selected operating system." when searching for software or information revolving around use of that device with macOS Monterey.

Beyond that, there are some general printer troubleshooting steps located in Solve printing problems on Mac, but that would hinge on the device being compatible with macOS Monterey.

Take care.

Mar 6, 2022 7:46 AM in response to andyfromwaukesha

Hey andyfromwaukesha,

Thanks for the update. Since the printer is recognized, but needs a driver that may not be supported any longer, there are a few more steps that may be helpful.

Update your printer software if your printer has a printing problem on Mac - Apple Support

"If none of the previous solutions work, the printer’s queue may be corrupted. Try deleting it and setting up your printer again.

If you still can’t print, reset the printing system."

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

Have a good one.

Mar 6, 2022 7:36 AM in response to Brian_P7

My MacBook Air completely died so I can’t check what OS it was running. I was trying to connect via USB. The printer shows up in the Add a printer window but I can’t get past the “Add a driver…” drop down. It just seems crazy to me that I can’t get this to work. I just spent all this money on the new mini and don’t want to have to shell out more for a printer.

New Mac mini won't connect to my Canon printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.