You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Card declined

For some reason if you take a credit card off your phone it doesn’t let you download apps so I tried putting my credit card back onto my phone to which is said card declined.. I’m confused because the card is still in use and has plenty of money on it so i don’t know how it’s saying declined? Especially since I’m not trying to buy anything I just want to download a free app

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 11:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 4:20 PM

I removed the payment method but still cannot download app it asked me to put my Apple ID password to view my billing information which is just more confusing because there’s nothing wrong with it and when I edit it does nothing and closing it simply asks me to do it all over again

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2022 4:20 PM in response to Raicya

I removed the payment method but still cannot download app it asked me to put my Apple ID password to view my billing information which is just more confusing because there’s nothing wrong with it and when I edit it does nothing and closing it simply asks me to do it all over again

Mar 10, 2022 2:06 AM in response to Raicya

so I now realize this whole situation is because of a pending purchase that for some reason never went through even when I had money on my card so now my credit card won’t work on my phone and can’t pay off the pending purchase so now I literally can’t download a free app that has nothing to do with the pending purchase because apple declined my card for no reason and let a pending purchase go through it just a massive inconvenience on apples part now because my card got declined for literally no reason I cannot use it on this phone anymore and now have to get someone else’s card to pay that pending purchase just so I can get a free app completely separate from this other purchase

Mar 8, 2022 11:31 AM in response to giorno224

When you click the hyperlink in my post, it bring you to -> Change, add or remove Apple ID payment methods – Apple Support (UK)

You didn’t read that Apple article, read again.

• Remove a payment method – tap Edit, tap the red Delete button, then tap Remove. If you have an unpaid balance, have subscriptions, including an iCloud storage plan, or use purchase sharing, you can't remove all payment methods. Find out how to remove all payment methods.

If you can't remove a payment method from your Apple ID

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203905

👉 If you still can't remove a payment method, contact Apple Support.

Mar 10, 2022 2:21 AM in response to giorno224

In such a situation, I recommend that you contact iTunes Store Support Team directly, using this link:--> iTunesStore & App Store – Get support for various issues, and choosing: your country, then Apple ID, then iTunes & App Store. If your problem is not among the options shown there, tap/click on the option “the topic is not listed” and describe your issue.

Regards

Giulio

Mar 8, 2022 11:29 AM in response to giorno224

If you take a credit card off of your phone you can still download apps, as long as they are free AND don’t have in-app purchases or subscriptions. You need a payment method in your account under all other circumstances.

A “payment declined” or “card declined" message means that the issuer of the credit or debit card you have on file in your iTunes account rejected a charge or account confirmation. It is not an Apple problem; Apple is just passing through the message from your issuer. There are a number of reasons the charge or verification might be declined:

• Insufficient balance or account in arrears
  • Account suspended for suspected fraud (not necessarily by you)
  • Error in card number
  • Wrong expiration date
  • Wrong security (CVV) code
  • Address in your iTunes account does not match exactly the billing address for the card
  • The card was not issued in the country of the iTunes store
  • You are connected through a VPN provider that does not terminate in the country of the iTunes store you are connected to.

Card declined

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.