You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad video quality after transfer to MAC

Hi!

I recently had an issue when uploading video/pictures from my iPhone to my Mac, using the integrated picture transfer program.

After uploading was finish, I wanted to watch some of the films that I'd made. The picture in the film was very lagging/chopping, and not good quality. The sound was OK.

Later I checked the same film at the iPhone, and there were no problem. Super quality.

So my question is: Why do the film starts to lag/chop after transfer to MAC? And is there a way to fix the issue?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 12:50 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 11, 2022 12:51 PM in response to martinellingseter

Hello Martin,

Based on the information above, it sounds like the HDR settings being enabled are not allowing these videos to transfer properly.

For this, let's try out: Play and record HDR video on iPhone or iPad

We'd specifically call out this section:

Learn more

- HDR video recording requires a high-efficiency video format, so if you turn off High Efficiency in Settings > Camera > Formats, HDR Video also turns off. If you then turn HDR Video back on, videos use High Efficiency format while images continue to use Most Compatible format.
- If the HDR videos you record don't look as vibrant as expected when viewed on another device, make sure that the other device supports HDR and is using the latest software. For example, playing HDR video on Mac requires an up-to-date version of macOS and a compatible Mac model.

Which might mean you need to update your Mac and confirm the settings.

Should it continue, which macOS version are you using? Does this issue occur with one or multiple videos?

Hoping to hear back, cheers.

Mar 11, 2022 12:02 PM in response to martinellingseter

Thanks for getting back to us. Let's keep trying to isolate this. Have you ever tried transferring in the Photos app instead of Image Capture? Does the same thing occur if you try these steps?

Please see: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC

"Import to your Mac

1. Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac with a USB cable.
  2. Open the Photos app on your computer.
  3. The Photos app shows an Import screen with all the photos and videos that are on your connected device. If the Import screen doesn't automatically appear, click the device's name in the Photos sidebar.
  4. If asked, unlock your iOS or iPadOS device using your passcode. If you see a prompt on your iOS or iPadOS device asking you to Trust This Computer, tap Trust to continue.
  5. Choose where you want to import your photos. Next to "Import to," you can choose an existing album or create a new one.
  6. Select the photos you want to import and click Import Selected, or click Import All New Photos.
  7. Wait for the process to finish, then disconnect your device from your Mac."

You may also want to test Image Capture inside a new user account to isolate the issue further. Here's how to Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Let us know what happens.

Have a fantastic day!

Mar 11, 2022 11:24 AM in response to martinellingseter

Hey martinellingseter,

Thanks for posting to Apple Support Communities. We'll need some additional information to provide more specific support.

What is the name of the program that you're using to transfer your videos/photos from your iPhone to your Mac?

Have you tried transferring your video or photo to your Mac in a different method? For example, emailing the video or photo.

How were these videos and photos taken? Did you use your iPhone?

If you have any issues playing a video on Mac, check out this article here: If an audio or video file doesn't play on Mac

We looking forward to working on this with you. Take care!

Mar 11, 2022 1:09 PM in response to martinellingseter

Hello Martin,

It's possible, depending on your model iPhone, that you can edit the video format to work with your model of Mac. Take a look at this article for more info: Edit HDR video recorded on an iPhone 12.

If you continue to experience issues, you may want to speak with a Photos expert at Apple Support. You can reach out to them at Get Support.

Best wishes.

Mar 11, 2022 11:42 AM in response to BrianK90

Hi and thanks for reply!

The program I am using is an original Apple Mac software. In Norwegian it's called "Bildeoverføring" (Picture Transfer - directly translated to english). See attached screenshot.

The videos are good if I send them on for example Facebook Messenger to a friend. No problem.

I used my iPhone 12 Mini to record these videos.

Earlier I had an iPhone 11 and had no problem doing transfers of videos from telephone to my Mac with the same method. So I was thinking maybe there is some settings in my phone that I have to change.

My case is very similar to this YouTube-clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmEXGeepc_o

But after following the steps in the video, I still got the same problem.

Looking forward to hear from you. Thank you!

Mar 11, 2022 12:30 PM in response to MichaelB2019

Hi!

I just tried to import with the Photos app, and still the same problem. I also created a guest-user in my Mac, and have the same problem there.

I just noticed that the video which have this problem is marked with HDR on my iPhone. Films that is not marked with HDR is working fine. Could this cause the problem? If so, how to solve the problem?

Appreciate your help! Thank you!

Martin

Bad video quality after transfer to MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.