You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad on-screen keyboard unwelcome change

From the time I first got my ipad, when the onscreen keyboard is invoked, it appeared at the bottom of the screen and was unbroken. Recently -- maybe as a result of a software update? -- the onscreen keyboard has been appearing half-way between the top and bottom of the screen and is split in the center into two separate sections. I find this change quite awkward to use and would like to get the old on-screen keyboard back.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 3:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 3:08 PM

If the Split Keyboard is active, instead of the full on-screen keyboard, you can either use two fingers (one on each of the two half-keyboards) and swipe the two halves together - or touch-and-hold the “keyboard” key, then slide your finger to the Merge & Dock option and release.

Use the floating keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

Split and move the keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 11, 2022 3:08 PM in response to RainierBob

If the Split Keyboard is active, instead of the full on-screen keyboard, you can either use two fingers (one on each of the two half-keyboards) and swipe the two halves together - or touch-and-hold the “keyboard” key, then slide your finger to the Merge & Dock option and release.

Use the floating keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

Split and move the keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

ipad on-screen keyboard unwelcome change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.