You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steps for Unknown Error Code (4000)

I am trying to upgrade from iOS 13.6.1 to 15.3.1, but getting an Unknown Error (4000). I've tried restarting, cleaning up disk space, but nothing seems to work and there is no info found on the help about this specific error code. Suggestions for next steps?

P.S. Could not find iOS Upgrade as a topic choice.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 6:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
7 replies

Mar 13, 2022 8:11 AM in response to Linc56

I agree, and I have tried to escalate this through the forum hosts several times. 4000, is a very common error code and should be documented. I have a suggestion: Go to these two knowledge base articles:

iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Find an iTunes or Finder error code - Apple Support

At the bottom, click where it asks if it was helpful and say NO, and give as a reason that error code 4000 is missing. I’ll do it also.

Mar 11, 2022 6:29 PM in response to Linc56

Error 4000 is an undocumented error code (at least publicly undocumented). It means that the connection between the phone and iTunes was interrupted in the middle of a sync or update activity. In the past this might have been caused by a flakey USB port, an antivirus or a firewall. However, there is a new cause of this error that is the result of a bug in iTunes for Windows that requires the phone not be locked during the update. I think this has been finally fixed in the latest iTunes update, so try getting that from https://itunes.com/. If not first check your antivirus and firewall (temporarily disable them), but if that doesn’t fix it there are three workarounds for the bug:

• Update over the air, by going to Settings/General/Software Update
  • Temporarily disable the screen lock passcode on the phone before updating using iTunes on Windows

Note that this error should only be a problem for updates; if you are restoring iOS rather than updating it should not occur.

Mar 13, 2022 6:33 AM in response to Linc56

Thank you all for your suggestions. Two steps were required 1) Disabling the autolock and 2) Removing the passcode from my phone (multiple steps here, including disabling BOTH Touch ID & Passcode).

These steps were described in a tutorial from an upgrade to iOS 14, so this generic, undocumented error code has been lingering for awhile.

Documenting errors and giving specific details rather than mapping to 'Unknown error' or any generic error code is a much preferred best practice that would save many users alot of time.

Steps for Unknown Error Code (4000)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.