You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware wi-i failure MBP Retina 13.3 early 2015

Out of the blue the Wi-Fi ceased to work of army MacBook Pro Retina early 2015 laptop. It as working then it wasn't. At first I thought it was a wi-fi issue. All other network devices work fine.

So things I have tried-

Rebooting, reset PMC, PRAM, verified all wi-fi settings. So this is why I feel its hardware:

Wired connection works fine on this device.

All other wi-fi devices work fine.

The Wi-Fi setting is MISSING from network preferences, it is greyed out, like it has no wi-fi hardware.

There is no option to use the plus button to add wi-fi.

This happened on Catalina, and I have trie booting on working eternal disks that Wi-Fi works on to no avail. It is definitely limited to this machine.

I did a backup (using ethernet cable and adaptor) and fresh install with Monterey and still it does not recognize wi-fi as an option.

All other aspects of the machine are fine. Its an early 2015 retina 13 inch with 8 RAM and 128 ssd. Now running latest OS.

Any hardware fix options? I have recently had to replace the keyboard/trackpad ribbon cable. That was 7 months ago and it all worked fine since then. so I wonder if there is another cable I can/need to replace for the antenna or radio.

Any help is appreciated

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 8:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 8:53 AM

seamuskrat wrote:

Out of the blue the Wi-Fi ceased to work of army MacBook Pro Retina early 2015 laptop. It as working then it wasn't. At first I thought it was a wi-fi issue. All other network devices work fine.
So things I have tried-
Rebooting, reset PMC, PRAM, verified all wi-fi settings. So this is why I feel its hardware:
The Wi-Fi setting is MISSING from network preferences, it is greyed out, like it has no wi-fi hardware.
This happened on Catalina, and I have trie booting on working eternal disks that Wi-Fi works on to no avail. It is definitely limited to this machine.
I did a backup (using ethernet cable and adaptor) and fresh install with Monterey and still it does not recognize wi-fi as an option.
All other aspects of the machine are fine. Its an early 2015 retina 13 inch with 8 RAM and 128 ssd. Now running latest OS.

Any hardware fix options? I have recently had to replace the keyboard/trackpad ribbon cable. That was 7 months ago and it all worked fine since then. so I wonder if there is another cable I can/need to replace for the antenna or radio.

Any help is appreciated

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2022 8:53 AM in response to seamuskrat

seamuskrat wrote:

So things I have tried-

Any help is appreciated

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Hardware wi-i failure MBP Retina 13.3 early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.