You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to upgrade to Mac Monterey and can't access it because the administrator password is incorrect

How do I reset the administrator password to download Mac Monterrey?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 8:08 AM

nai2000 wrote:

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Are you logged in your correct account? See the 

Are you admin? If you are logged in to your correct admin account then your psswd is correct....

See users and groups

>system Preferences>Users & Groups

Change Users & Groups User preferences on Mac - Apple ...

Are you a standard user?

Is this the first instance of a dialog telling you "administrator password is incorrect" or an ongoing issue...?

Is the iMac 24" with the original OEM HD /SSD or have you upgrades to a third party HD/SSD ?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 13, 2022 8:08 AM in response to nai2000

nai2000 wrote:

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Are you logged in your correct account? See the 

Are you admin? If you are logged in to your correct admin account then your psswd is correct....

See users and groups

>system Preferences>Users & Groups

Change Users & Groups User preferences on Mac - Apple ...

Are you a standard user?

Is this the first instance of a dialog telling you "administrator password is incorrect" or an ongoing issue...?

Is the iMac 24" with the original OEM HD /SSD or have you upgrades to a third party HD/SSD ?

Mar 14, 2022 4:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

I'm not sure what you mean by correct account. I only have one account and am the only person using this computer. I'm able to log on to the computer with the password I set up when the machine was purchased. For the upgrade the machine is asking for a different administrator password. Since I'm the owner and only user of the machine, I guess that makes me "admin". There are no other users and groups on this device. I'm not sure what you mean by "standard" user. This is an ongoing issue and I have not upgraded to a third party.

trying to upgrade to Mac Monterey and can't access it because the administrator password is incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.