You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs stop playing after a few seconds

I've been having an ongoing issue where songs stop playing in the Apple Music after a few seconds (anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds in). The scrubber bar keeps going and the app seems to think the song is playing, but no sound is coming out. This happens whether I'm using headphones, the phone's speaker, or my Homepods. Changing the sound output makes no difference. The only way to fix seems to be to skip the song and come back to it. This is happening multiple times per day with any number of songs – there doesn't seem to be any correlation as far as I can tell.

Anyone else having this issue?

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 3:55 PM

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately I’ve experienced this on many different internet connections and on several different devices (my Mac, my iPhone, and my iPad). I’m fairly certain it’s an issue with the Music app itself at this point. I have absolutely no connectivity or sound issues with any other apps.

For what it’s worth, this is one of several issues I experience with Apple Music - playlists also suddenly give up playing halfway through, the app crashes a lot (especially on Mac), etc. but this issue of songs simply “going quiet” after a few seconds is the only one I’ve reproduced regularly in many different scenarios.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2022 3:55 PM in response to Msport_Enthusiast

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately I’ve experienced this on many different internet connections and on several different devices (my Mac, my iPhone, and my iPad). I’m fairly certain it’s an issue with the Music app itself at this point. I have absolutely no connectivity or sound issues with any other apps.

For what it’s worth, this is one of several issues I experience with Apple Music - playlists also suddenly give up playing halfway through, the app crashes a lot (especially on Mac), etc. but this issue of songs simply “going quiet” after a few seconds is the only one I’ve reproduced regularly in many different scenarios.

Mar 14, 2022 3:01 PM in response to kenron25

This issue is typically related to your Internet connectivity. There are many directions to go from here but it would be difficult to troubleshoot without further information.

However if you are using cellular data and not Wi-Fi I would attempt to verify signal quality and strength. Recommend reset network settings and verify you have connectivity to the towers.

Try another streaming service such as YouTube verify if it works or not.

If it's related only to music app please, note that.

If the issue is with Wi-Fi, reseting network settings will likely help. Please note when you do this, it will erase your known Wi-Fi network passwords. However, id recommend doing this every other month for most people if you have connectivity issues.

;-)

Songs stop playing after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.