You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What or why is this now appearing on my mail messages on my mini iPad?

I have at the bottom of my emails something that continues to pop up on occasion. What is this and I can I get it to stop? Is there a way to turn off something so this doesn’t appear? This is not something I would use and find it annoying.

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 15

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:58 AM

I see now where you mentioned that this new functionality can not be disabled. This is disappointing as this is not something I will use. Maybe it can at some point have the functionality to disable or turn off.

4 replies

Mar 14, 2022 10:44 AM in response to misspate

Having updated to iPadOS15, you have now encountered the “Shelf” - this being a new feature of the now revised iPadOS multitasking environment. 

iPadOS permits you to have multiple “instances” of the same App - each instance being self contained. The shelf, when triggered, shows a thumbnail of each running instance of an App. For the Mail App - different instances/windows might be a different mailbox, open Mail message, or draft. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance/window. Each App - such as Mail, Safari, Notes, Calendar, etc. - has its own corresponding shelf.

Individual open instances of an App can be closed directly from the Shelf; just swipe the unwanted thumbnail off the top of the screen. Note however, that Multitasking and associated Shelf functions cannot be disabled.

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

What or why is this now appearing on my mail messages on my mini iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.