You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2013 iMac and Big Sur cannot be found to update MacOS?

What is wrong with my iMac, it's a 2013 model and Big Sur cannot be found in the app store so I can update the MacOS? It keeps telling me that the update cannot be found?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 2:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 3:02 AM

There's nothing wrong with your 2013 iMac - but it cannot support Big Sur.

The hardware specifications at this page state that the oldest iMac capable of supporting Big Sur is: iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)

A 2013 iMac cannot be upgraded beyond macOS Catalina 10.15.7

4 replies

Mar 17, 2022 3:08 AM in response to Beema41

Beema41 wrote:

I thought as much however on the Big Sur page my iMac showed up as 'suitable' for the upgrade. I guess it's Apple trying to upsell their products so you need to purchase new. Disappointing really.

Q - " the Big Sur page my iMac showed up as 'suitable' for the upgrade "

A - Interesting as I am looking that that Big Sur Page and do not see this computer listed anywhere

Now, if the Software Update Applet in System Preferences offered Big Sur as an upGrade - that would be a different matter altogether.

This has happened before where a computer has been misidentified to upgrade t a newer version of macOS which it does not Qualify to Run.

If this is what has happened advise Apple via Feedback as a Bug Report

I have a 2013 iMac and Big Sur cannot be found to update MacOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.