You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell P2422HE display -- downstream USB-A ports on the monitor do not function.

I have just purchased a Dell monitor model P2422HE.

I have connected to the monitor via the USB-C cable provided.

The display extends correctly - no problems.

The MacBook Pro (13-inch 2019 Running Monterey 12.2.1) receives power correctly.

None of the downstream USB-A ports on the monitor function.

I have rebooted computer and monitor

I have set the Personalisation Settings for USB Power to "Off in Off Mode"

I have tried both USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro (both do video, but not USB-A passthru)

I have confirmed that the USB-A cables and devices work (attached to USB-C Port extender attached to MacBook Pro)

This isn't a showstopper, but it would be really nice to have all of my USB-A devices connected to my monitor and just plug in the monitor USB-C cable and go.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Troy

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 10:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 10:21 AM

None of the downstream USB-A ports on the monitor function.

With all of the troubleshooting you have done, it may be a problem of the monitor not having the capability? Have you checked with Dell support?

2 replies

Mar 21, 2022 4:02 AM in response to tyzer007

Update: (sort of) resolved.

I had my mouse transmitter plugged into my keyboard, and the keyboard plugged into the monitor.

When I plugged both in independently it worked.

I had my headset and camera plugged into a port extender.

When I plugged both in independently it worked.

Short version - the monitor does not support USB-A Daisy Chaining. (USB-A standard does allow you to connect multiple USB-A port extenders together up to a total of 128 USB devices <where each hub is also a device> https://electronicguidebook.com/how-many-usb-hubs-can-you-daisy-chain/ ) - but the P2422HE from Dell does not support this from my experience.

Hope this is helpful for someone else!

Troy

Dell P2422HE display -- downstream USB-A ports on the monitor do not function.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.