You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to Documents folder on iCloud after factory reset

I have my Documents folder synced on iCloud so it's not locally stored. I'm considering doing a factory reset on my Mac. I have a few questions about this. Will all those documents remain there? If they do when I reset my Mac obviously I'd have to go into settings to set up iCloud sync for Documents folder again, will it automatically sync with that folder on iCloud or create a new Documents folder?

I found a similiar question asked before but the answer was confusing and I couldn't reply to it, so please don't refer me to that article.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 8:20 PM

Only documents folder is not synced to iCloud Drive , its a combination of desktops and documents in Mac system preferences , the personal files / personal documents are stored when the box of it is turned as on .

When hard drive is erased and Mac OS is installed , the documents / desktop folder will be as inbuilt in finder sidebar , but your personal documents / files will again sync from iCloud server in those documents ( in finder side bar ) as well in iCloud.com

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2022 8:20 PM in response to sultaz

Only documents folder is not synced to iCloud Drive , its a combination of desktops and documents in Mac system preferences , the personal files / personal documents are stored when the box of it is turned as on .

When hard drive is erased and Mac OS is installed , the documents / desktop folder will be as inbuilt in finder sidebar , but your personal documents / files will again sync from iCloud server in those documents ( in finder side bar ) as well in iCloud.com

What happens to Documents folder on iCloud after factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.