You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro with USB-C trying to connect to sanDisk Pro extreme SSD

When I plug the drive into the iPad directly, it shows the drive, when I click on the drive it shows zip drives for windows and and two for Mac. When I click on these there is nothing there. There is nothing for iPad anywhere. I have tried a hub with a power supply and this drive plugged in to it and it doesn’t even show up on my iPad anywhere. So far the learning curve for me using this sanDisk Exteme pro SSD drive is too steep! Can you help?

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 6:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 6:48 AM

Here is what Apple provides about connecting external drives to an iPad. Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

My guess is the zip folders you are seeing are ones that contain drivers for that SSD drive, and unfortunately, you cannot install drivers on an iPad. I've never tried to uncompress a zip folder on an iPad, but if those are driver files, I'm not sure you would be able to see them, but that is just a guess on my part. There are a couple of people here that are very good with iPads, and I'll bet a little later on they will see this and be able to respond. With their knowledge of iPads, they will be able to provide you with more than I can at this point.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2022 6:48 AM in response to Sammac2

Here is what Apple provides about connecting external drives to an iPad. Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

My guess is the zip folders you are seeing are ones that contain drivers for that SSD drive, and unfortunately, you cannot install drivers on an iPad. I've never tried to uncompress a zip folder on an iPad, but if those are driver files, I'm not sure you would be able to see them, but that is just a guess on my part. There are a couple of people here that are very good with iPads, and I'll bet a little later on they will see this and be able to respond. With their knowledge of iPads, they will be able to provide you with more than I can at this point.

Mar 23, 2022 7:54 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

thanks Chris, probably didn’t explain that right, think those files are not compatible and this why they will not open. I think what I am saying is I cannot do anything in the scan disk Drive that shows in i-pads files. Did find something about having to format it first but looking for better instructions than I have in my head at the present how to do this.

Mar 23, 2022 8:11 AM in response to Sammac2

another question I have while trying to hook this scanDisk pro SSD up, somewhere it told me I may have to power the new disc with additional an additional power supply. I plugged in a hub to the iPad, plugged scan disk pro into it and a power supply. The power supply shows charging the iPad, but the new disk doesn’t show up in Files?

iPad Pro with USB-C trying to connect to sanDisk Pro extreme SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.