You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod mini--Don't Want Others to See What Is Playing

I was sitting in my home office, minding my own business, and listening to Spotify Playlists (it's a dedicated app) on my HomePod mini. My husband came upstairs and said, "Listening to Talking Heads, I see!" Umm--how do I stop him (and others) from being able to see what's playing on my HomePod?

It's not that I'm trying to hide what I'm listening to, I just don't think others need to know. If he's home and working or doing chores around the home, I want him to be able to see his own music on the Lock Screen of his iPhone, not mine. If he wanted to, he could pause my music from downstairs, and I don't want that.

Is this a setting with HomePod, Spotify, or somewhere else? I don't even know where to begin looking to change settings. I've already removed him from my Home app as a user, but he's still seeing my music. Help!

HomePod mini

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 9:37 AM

brandnewrock22 wrote:
[...]It's not that I'm trying to hide what I'm listening to, I just don't think others need to know. If he's home and working or doing chores around the home, I want him to be able to see his own music on the Lock Screen of his iPhone, not mine. If he wanted to, he could pause my music from downstairs, and I don't want that.

Is this a setting with HomePod, Spotify, or somewhere else? I don't even know where to begin looking to change settings. I've already removed him from my Home app as a user, but he's still seeing my music. Help!

Interesting question. I live alone now so I haven't given intra-home permissions much thought, though I've virtually-invited guests' Apple IDs into my home after granting them access to my WiFi setup.

Anyway, have you truly removed your husband's Apple ID from your HomeKit "Home"? Is your HomePod the only HomeKit accessory in the house? If so, perhaps you need to change the access setting for [AirPlay] Speakers & TVs (Home app > Home Settings > Allow Speaker & TV Access) to "Only People Sharing This Home".

If your HomeKit setup is more extensive with Apple TVs, multiple HomePods and other shared accessories (lights, locks, etc.) around the house, you should be able to remove your HomePod mini from the existing Home and add a 2nd "virtual Home" that contains only your office HomePod mini and only your Apple ID (with the aforementioned access setting).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2022 9:37 AM in response to brandnewrock22

brandnewrock22 wrote:
[...]It's not that I'm trying to hide what I'm listening to, I just don't think others need to know. If he's home and working or doing chores around the home, I want him to be able to see his own music on the Lock Screen of his iPhone, not mine. If he wanted to, he could pause my music from downstairs, and I don't want that.

Interesting question. I live alone now so I haven't given intra-home permissions much thought, though I've virtually-invited guests' Apple IDs into my home after granting them access to my WiFi setup.

Anyway, have you truly removed your husband's Apple ID from your HomeKit "Home"? Is your HomePod the only HomeKit accessory in the house? If so, perhaps you need to change the access setting for [AirPlay] Speakers & TVs (Home app > Home Settings > Allow Speaker & TV Access) to "Only People Sharing This Home".

If your HomeKit setup is more extensive with Apple TVs, multiple HomePods and other shared accessories (lights, locks, etc.) around the house, you should be able to remove your HomePod mini from the existing Home and add a 2nd "virtual Home" that contains only your office HomePod mini and only your Apple ID (with the aforementioned access setting).

Mar 24, 2022 12:11 PM in response to bgmeek

After I posted this, I checked out my Home sharing settings and ended up removing my husband. He has no interest in operating my HomePod or my Honeywell WiFi thermostat at all, so therefore has no need to be on the Home app with me. Apple support suggested giving it some time for the settings to catch up and then re-add the HomePod, which I am going to try later.

Thank you for your suggestions--I will add them to the list of things to check later!

HomePod mini--Don't Want Others to See What Is Playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.