You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 iMac 27" 5k no hard drive found?

Right after the last Apple event I ordered a new Mac Studio to replace my 2014 iMac. In the meantime my iMac had a kernel panic and when I rebooted it there was the prohibit sign and wouldn't boot. I booted into Recovery and Disk Utility didn't see my internal drive, it only saw the Fusion drive. I figured the hard drive probably gave out since it's 8 years old. However I ran Hardware Diagnostics and it did show anything.

I was planning on selling the iMac once the Studio came in. Now I have a dead iMac with a drive that has everything still on it. Even though the test didn't show any hardware problems I figured I could put another drive in and at the very least get the old drive out. So I ordered the exact model of Seagate 1TB drive that was in there. Installed the drive and put everything back together, booted into Recovery and again it doesn't show up. I can't format it because it's not there. I did all this with the screen still loose so I unplugged the drive and plugged it back again thinking that maybe it wasn't seated correctly. Still no-go. Ended up just sealing the screen.

I'm here to see if there was/is anything I could do? I would assume if there was a controller or something out the hardware test would've showed that? I guess the old thing got jealous of the new Mac Studio coming and just gave up! I don't want to get into spending a bunch getting it to do something but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 3:05 PM

Then I would recommend that you do the following:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Had I been you I would not have installed another HD and create another Fusion setup. I would have installed either an:

• External USB 3 SSD
  • Internal SSD

The bootable installer would would work on either Installing a fresh Fusion or HD is yesterdays technology.

Wish you luck on your repair!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2022 3:05 PM in response to crawdad62

Then I would recommend that you do the following:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Had I been you I would not have installed another HD and create another Fusion setup. I would have installed either an:

• External USB 3 SSD
  • Internal SSD

The bootable installer would would work on either Installing a fresh Fusion or HD is yesterdays technology.

Wish you luck on your repair!

2014 iMac 27" 5k no hard drive found?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.