You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUG IN MAC MAIL: the value of the option "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments At End" is ignored

When I start up Mail I go and verify that this option is not checked. I then add an attachment and it is added at the end of my email. However, if I select it (so that it has a check) and then unselect it (so no check is showing), attachments will then be added at the cursor.

Is there a way to have it function properly at startup instead of my having to check/uncheck it each time I start mail?

thanks

w

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 12:54 PM

Booting in safe mode had no effect.

BUT I did discover a solution.

There appears to be some ambiguity in the effect of modifying the "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" mode. If the mode is changed WHILE composing a new mail, the change has the effect ONLY during that composition. Once the composition has ended, the mode returns to the 'default'. If the mode is changes NOT during a composition, the mode change persists.

My fix was to stop and restart mail. Then immediately change the 'Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" to my desired value. Thereafter, the choice applies to all composed messages.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2022 12:54 PM in response to MrHoffman

Booting in safe mode had no effect.

BUT I did discover a solution.

There appears to be some ambiguity in the effect of modifying the "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" mode. If the mode is changed WHILE composing a new mail, the change has the effect ONLY during that composition. Once the composition has ended, the mode returns to the 'default'. If the mode is changes NOT during a composition, the mode change persists.

My fix was to stop and restart mail. Then immediately change the 'Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" to my desired value. Thereafter, the choice applies to all composed messages.

Mar 26, 2022 10:45 AM in response to ward harriman

Boot into Safe Mode, and try the setting again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If there are add-on anti-malware apps, add-on VPN client apps, add-on cleaner apps, or such, remove all of those, restart, and try again.

….But if you think you’ve found a bug, report it here: Product Feedback - Apple

(Apple may or may not see postings and bug reports here.)

BUG IN MAC MAIL: the value of the option "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments At End" is ignored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.