You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backups

Hello, I noticed today that the amount of space taken by back ups in iCloud went from 15GB down to 10.4GB. One Idea I have is that I recently enabled messages in iCloud. And I’m not totally aware of how it works or what it could do but could that be why? Like something todo with messages being stances to iCloud and not in my backups or something?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:03 AM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Gabe_C

That's correct.

The same is true for other things that are not included in iCloud Backup if they are synced with iCloud. See the following from What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos4, Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, and shared photos

iCloud backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.