You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to upgrade my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1 chip, 2020)

What are my options for boosting the RAM in this machine? I see it has 2 x 16 GB RAM chips + 2 x empty slots. Also while we're at it, I am out of hard disk space. Is that an easy upgrade?

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 1:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 1:37 PM

I am not certain where you got the idea it has two open RAM slots, but that is NOT correct..

Since the MacBook Pro 2012 Retina models, the RAM in ALL MacBook Pro models has been soldered to the mainboard for maximum reliability. No slots are provided for user RAM upgrades. if you need more RAM, your only recourse is to convert your Mac into cash by selling it, and using the cash to buy a computer that better meets your needs.

Since about 2015 models, more or less, that is a similar story with INTERNAL SSD drives as well. You can attach a number of different SSD solutions externally.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2022 1:37 PM in response to FireFish

I am not certain where you got the idea it has two open RAM slots, but that is NOT correct..

Since the MacBook Pro 2012 Retina models, the RAM in ALL MacBook Pro models has been soldered to the mainboard for maximum reliability. No slots are provided for user RAM upgrades. if you need more RAM, your only recourse is to convert your Mac into cash by selling it, and using the cash to buy a computer that better meets your needs.

Since about 2015 models, more or less, that is a similar story with INTERNAL SSD drives as well. You can attach a number of different SSD solutions externally.

Need to upgrade my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1 chip, 2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.