You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mail not supported on TimeMachine anymore?

I am 100% sure TimeMachine did support mail. I.e. I could enter Mail, start TimeMachine and recover deleted emails.

this does not work anymore...

and this https://twitter.com/buerger_report/status/1509085537247842310?s=21 is NOT the solution. Cause here you fiddle with files where mails are stored.

I am talking about "restoring" deleted mails

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 1:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 5:43 AM

Apple stopped supporting mail with TM starting with Catalina. I now use a program called MailBackupX that is easy to use and keeps all me email sorted by mailbox. Not sure why Apple made this change.

3 replies

Mar 30, 2022 11:40 AM in response to Michael Zischeck1

Time Machine backs up all of the Mail Vn directory structure including Trash and Deleted Messages mbox and their maze of folder structure. If there are no deleted messages in that maze, then there is nothing to back up.

The first problem is the Mail folder maze, and the second problem is trying to locate the exact folder that actually has Trashed or deleted messages in it. This is a herculean task on macOS and made even worse in Time Machine Restore due to its horrible slowness (even on my Time Machine 1000MB/s SSD on an M1 mini), and Spotlight search limitation.

In Mail, I just deleted a bunch of junk messages. In the Finder, I redirected to the Mail V8 (macOS 11.6.5) folder, and in List View, looked at the three current folders representing each of my Mail accounts with their UUID identities. I then used Zsh in the Terminal to recursively drill down into the Trash and Deleted Messages folders looking for any .emls message and found NONE.

I went into Time Machine Restore, and after several minutes of slothful interaction, I still had not found any Trashed or Deleted mail messages — not necessarily because they weren't there from a previous backup, but rather the task of searching through 192 subfolders with Spotlight made this not worth the cost in time or effort.

Why is Mail not supported on TimeMachine anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.