You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Studio Display keeps disconnecting usb-c devices

I have a Studio Display connected to a 14" macbook pro (M1 Pro). I'm using the supplied thunderbolt cable to connect the display. I have two devices connected to the display's usb-c ports:

• a Sandisk Extreme Pro v2 2tb SSD
  • uni usb-c to 4 port usb-a hub (with attached keyboard and mouse)

Randomly, every 1-3 hours, the usb-c devices will disconnect from the computer. The display keeps working, and the speakers and webcam both continue to function, but any usb-c devices aren't recognized as being plugged into the computer. I have to unplug the thunderbolt connection to the laptop and plug it back in. Usually it recognizes devices the first time I unplug it, but sometimes it takes a few attempts.

I've had the uni hub connected directly to the laptop for awhile and have had no issues. The SSD is using the supplied cable and I used it for a year on an imac with no issues.

I am running Monterey 12.3 and updated the display firmware to 15.4. I just saw that 12.3.1 was released but it's not showing up in software update. I will try that when it's avialable. Not sure if the firmware will also update to ios 15.4.1.

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 12:00 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 11, 2022 8:24 AM in response to dbobs

The issue persists with the latest Mac OS and firmware updates on the display. However, things work fine when just the SanDisk SSD is attached to the display, and the UNI usb hub is attached directly to the laptop. I will try the reverse at some point.

I usually have my airpods charger attached to the display as well, but I don't know that it does anything except charge.

Studio Display keeps disconnecting usb-c devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.