You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Export Library

When I select File> Library> Export Library> Music creates an XML file that then cannot be opened. The message is that there is "no Error Detail available. Location:Line 2, Column 9."

Can I select a different format to export to or is there a fix to this issue?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 2:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 3:01 PM

The purpose of that command is to save copies of playlists to use on another computer. On the other computer use the import command] to read the playlist(s). Playlists are just the names of the songs, not the songs themselves.

In the Music app on your Mac, do one of the following:

• Save a copy of a single playlist or use it in Music on another computer: Select a playlist in the sidebar on the left, choose File > Library > Export Playlist, then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.
  • Save a copy of all your playlists: Choose File > Library > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.

If you actually want to copy your music library, see:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Note: This does not transfer songs you lease with an Apple Music subscription. They are copy-protected.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2022 3:01 PM in response to Howarddp

The purpose of that command is to save copies of playlists to use on another computer. On the other computer use the import command] to read the playlist(s). Playlists are just the names of the songs, not the songs themselves.

In the Music app on your Mac, do one of the following:

• Save a copy of a single playlist or use it in Music on another computer: Select a playlist in the sidebar on the left, choose File > Library > Export Playlist, then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.
  • Save a copy of all your playlists: Choose File > Library > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.

If you actually want to copy your music library, see:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Note: This does not transfer songs you lease with an Apple Music subscription. They are copy-protected.

Apr 1, 2022 4:47 PM in response to javaliga

Yes, I know this is just a list of the songs, and that is exactly what I want. But the file that is created (Library.xml) cannot be opened in Word or any other app other than a text editor which is not organized, but is just a long un organized string of words. which is very difficult to read. I get the message I mentioned above.

If the format of the file could be something other than .XML I might be able to use it, but for some reason the file Music creates is corrupted.

Thank you for your feedback, but I think I need more help.

Apple Music Export Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.