You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internal hard drive not showing in recovery mode disk utility

i have a macbook pro 2015 early. its works well i dont have any problem with my mac, but i want to format my mac because i will sell it.

in recovery mode i cant see my hard drive in disk utility and i can setup the os.

but when i’m open my mac in the inside the disk utility application i can see it. or when i enter diskutil list command i can see my internal hdd in normal mode but in recovery mode i can only see 2.1gb os hdd, not my internal sata hdd.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:39 PM

inside macos, normal disk utility app

inside recovery mode disk utiltiy

reinstall mac os selecting hdd phase

4 replies

Apr 4, 2022 6:00 AM in response to akiinay

You can try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to attempt to access the macOS 12.x Monterey online installer, but sometimes this will still just boot the online installer for the OS which originally shipped from the factory. In that case you can create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Personally, I recommend creating the bootable macOS USB installer just so you have more options if something goes wrong with Internet Recovery Mode.

Apr 4, 2022 5:03 AM in response to akiinay

You have a third party NVMe SSD installed which requires booting to a macOS 10.13+ installer since older versions of macOS don't have the necessary NVMe driver to operate the third party NVMe SSD.

FYI, here is an Apple article on all the things you should do when preparing a Mac for sale (most of them need to be done before the clean install):

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

internal hard drive not showing in recovery mode disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.