You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Monterey required to back up my iOS phone to my Big Sur iMac?

Where trying to back up my iPhone 11 with iOS15 to my Mac with Big Sur, I get a message saying I need to update software, but no indication of what software. The OS? Is Monterey required in order to back up a iOS15 phone?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 1:30 PM

Phil is correct, but I thought that this kb article from Apple would help you understand a little better.

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I am still running 10.11.6 on my ancient MBP and I can sync and backup my iOS devices running iOS 15.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2022 1:30 PM in response to chuckla1

Phil is correct, but I thought that this kb article from Apple would help you understand a little better.

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I am still running 10.11.6 on my ancient MBP and I can sync and backup my iOS devices running iOS 15.

Is Monterey required to back up my iOS phone to my Big Sur iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.