You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine can't see my external disk

Hi.

I am trying to backup my M1 Pro Mac on an external hard disk. I've been using it as a backup disk of my MacBook Pro 2016 for 4-5 years without any problem. However, even if it is connected to my M1 Pro, Time Machine doesn't list it. The only option I can see is something about AirPort Time Capsule. I've just checked by using disk utility if there is a problem, but nothing was found. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks in advance for your interest!

Selman.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 4:53 AM

Hi,

As far as I know, old TimeMachine drive for previous MacBook Pro can't use for new MacBook Pro. You need to reformat with new MacBook Pro and connect old external drive as the new TimeMachine drive for new MacBook Pro.

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 5, 2022 7:18 AM in response to baysalse

if you want to, you should be able to "inherit" the previous backups, and continue to add to them as your backup scheme.

.Pondini's Time Machine - Troubleshooting -- B5. Would you like to inherit (or re-use) the backup . . . ?

Note the there is a more convoluted process in the linked article that involves some Terminal commands.

Time Machine can't see my external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.