You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need to transfer SIM card from my old iphone to my new one?

Do I need to transfer the SIM card from my old phone to my new one?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:17 PM

That answer lies almost 100% with your carrier, and whether your phone is locked or unlocked.

Generally, if you source your phone from a carrier, it comes with a SIM locked to that carrier. Chances are your new phone has a SIM in it, and the carrier needs to update their registration to send calls to the new SIM rather than the old one.

If both your phones are unlocked then you may be able to transfer the SIM.

As is, no one here can answer definitively.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2022 3:17 PM in response to Christmascats2

That answer lies almost 100% with your carrier, and whether your phone is locked or unlocked.

Generally, if you source your phone from a carrier, it comes with a SIM locked to that carrier. Chances are your new phone has a SIM in it, and the carrier needs to update their registration to send calls to the new SIM rather than the old one.

If both your phones are unlocked then you may be able to transfer the SIM.

As is, no one here can answer definitively.

do i need to transfer SIM card from my old iphone to my new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.