You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro does not detect external display (usb-c)

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 (i5 8Gb and latest Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1) and a new Huawei Mateview 4K external display.

I have a problem in detecting this display with my computer. Let me explain.

When I connect the cable to the computer, it starts charging but it does not recognizes the display. I have to disconnect and reconnect a few times before it works. This happens when I start the computer the first time. If I let it connected and enter in sleep mode, after I resume my work session, it works fine and connect immediately. The thing is that if I disconnect the cable and reconnect it, the problem may come back even after having turned on the computer.

It works well with the mini display port and HDMI but not with usb-c. I want to use the usb-c because of the charging feature.

The external display has a 4K (3840 x 2560, 3:2 aspect ratio) resolution at 60Hz. It has a mini display port, an HDMI and a usb-c port where I can connect a computer. This usb-c port also delivers 65W charging. It is NOT a thunderbolt port.

My 2017 MacBook Pro has no scratches, few programs installed (command line tools and few programmer tools like VScode etc.). I'm very careful.

What I tried and did not solve the problem:

• restart the computer
  • SMC, PRAM NVRAM reset
  • try with another usb-c cable (supporting display and fast charging)
  • Disable battery saving mode when not connected to an adapter
  • factory reset the display
  • install Mac OS updates
  • I have an M1 MBP and it works without problem
  • try on another Huawei Mateview. Same happens.
  • I can't find the detect display button in the settings since my Mac does not detect the display. It only show up when it recognizes the display. So the button is useless for me...

What I did not:

• Reset Mac OS to factory settings. It is possible but I did it not so long ago...
  • Check my MBP usb-ports but it will surprise me if both usb-c ports suffer the same problem especially since I am careful.
  • I had chromium installed and I read that it could pose some problems. I uninstalled it but nothing.

I noticed a strange thing in the sound settings. The output sound (there is a built-in speaker in the screen) is detected as being connected to a DisplayPort. Also I noticed that the screen seem to be recognized as a TV in the monitor settings (see picture) and some system sounds (notifications and sound effects) do not come from the built-in speaker but rather from my MBP speakers. In the past, all the sounds came up from the built in speaker. Music and movies etc. come from the built-in speaker.

Did you already have this kind of problem ? Unfortunately I don't have another usb-c monitor to test if it comes from my computer or from the screen but I'd rather say it's from my computer since with an M1 MBP it works well. Maybe, my MBP isn't detecting directly the screen ratio (3:2) ?

If you need more information, don't hesitate ! Thank you !

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 10:58 AM

Hello 1ssmith,

I checked this webpage and it doesn’t help me that much. Thank you though !

I continued to try isolating the problem.

I restarted in safe mode: same problem

Try on another session (guest session): same

Running the diagnostic tool: same

Call to apple support: explained all but no solution found 😞

Finally, I will maybe make a clean install of macOS just to be sure and maybe also tests with another intel MBP to see if it is just me.

But I really suspect the driver to be the problem. An M1 MacBook Pro works perfectly and my intel MBP works well on a LG ultra fine with an USB-C port. The things is that the LG ultra fine has a thunderbolt port that the Huawei doesn’t have. I think that this is the problem and there is nothing to do except expecting (hopefully) an update from Huawei. I will maybe contact Huawei for that.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 11, 2022 10:58 AM in response to 1ssmith

Hello 1ssmith,

I checked this webpage and it doesn’t help me that much. Thank you though !

I continued to try isolating the problem.

I restarted in safe mode: same problem

Try on another session (guest session): same

Running the diagnostic tool: same

Call to apple support: explained all but no solution found 😞

Finally, I will maybe make a clean install of macOS just to be sure and maybe also tests with another intel MBP to see if it is just me.

But I really suspect the driver to be the problem. An M1 MacBook Pro works perfectly and my intel MBP works well on a LG ultra fine with an USB-C port. The things is that the LG ultra fine has a thunderbolt port that the Huawei doesn’t have. I think that this is the problem and there is nothing to do except expecting (hopefully) an update from Huawei. I will maybe contact Huawei for that.

MacBook pro does not detect external display (usb-c)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.