You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express A1392 failing to connect to wifi

I have an Airport Express A1392 that stopped working a few years ago and I thought I would give it a go trying to get it working again. I have performed a factory reset and Airport Utility app recognizes the device and begins the process of connecting it to my current network. Back when it worked I had an AirPort Extreme as a router but now have a third party one because of the range (lawnmower that needs wifi). I've come as far so I can name the unit and select my Wifi named "@home", but when it tries to connect an error occurs that says "An unexpected error occurred. Try Again." (In Swedish) Any thoughts why this might be happening. Using 2017 5K iMac on Monterey 12.2.1

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 12:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 6:09 AM

OK, let's see if the AirPort Express will work using an Ethernet cable.....not WiFi to connect to your main router.

Perform another Factory Default Reset or a Hard Reset on the AirPort Express again. The Hard Reset is easier for most users, and it accomplishes the same thing. To try the Hard Reset, power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a minute. Then, hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow another minute for the AirPort Express to restart again.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on your main router to the "O" Ethernet port on the AirPort Express. There are usually four Ethernet ports on most routers, so you can use any of these ports.

Open up AirPort Utility again and click on the Other WiFi Devices button

Click direct on AirPort Express xxxxxx

AirPort Utility will take a few seconds to analyze the network settings and then suggest the correct setup for the AirPort Express. The window will look similar to the example that you see below.

Network Name......Type in the same name as your current WiFi network

Base Station Name.....Type in a device name........AirPort Express......for example

Password......Type in the password for the WiFi network

Verify.....Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and AirPort Utility will try to set up the AirPort Express

If you see a message of Setup Complete, click Done. There should be a green light on the AirPort Express at this time.

In this type of setup, you must leave the Ethernet connection from the router to the AirPort Express in place at all times. In other words, you cannot disconnect the Ethernet cable because the AirPort Express has been set up to use an Ethernet connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 11, 2022 6:09 AM in response to F1GG3

OK, let's see if the AirPort Express will work using an Ethernet cable.....not WiFi to connect to your main router.

Perform another Factory Default Reset or a Hard Reset on the AirPort Express again. The Hard Reset is easier for most users, and it accomplishes the same thing. To try the Hard Reset, power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a minute. Then, hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow another minute for the AirPort Express to restart again.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on your main router to the "O" Ethernet port on the AirPort Express. There are usually four Ethernet ports on most routers, so you can use any of these ports.

Open up AirPort Utility again and click on the Other WiFi Devices button

Click direct on AirPort Express xxxxxx

AirPort Utility will take a few seconds to analyze the network settings and then suggest the correct setup for the AirPort Express. The window will look similar to the example that you see below.

Network Name......Type in the same name as your current WiFi network

Base Station Name.....Type in a device name........AirPort Express......for example

Password......Type in the password for the WiFi network

Verify.....Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and AirPort Utility will try to set up the AirPort Express

If you see a message of Setup Complete, click Done. There should be a green light on the AirPort Express at this time.

In this type of setup, you must leave the Ethernet connection from the router to the AirPort Express in place at all times. In other words, you cannot disconnect the Ethernet cable because the AirPort Express has been set up to use an Ethernet connection.

Apr 10, 2022 4:33 PM in response to F1GG3

You mentioned that the AirPort Express had stopped working a few years ago, so if that is the case, it unlikely that it will start to work correctly again.

If you have performed a Factory Default Reset a few times, are selecting the right Wi-Fi network, and entering the password for the network correctly and the Express continues to experience errors, there is not really anything else that you can do at this point.The Express is likely defective, at least for the purpose that you are trying to achieve.

It is possible that the Express might work correctly though, if it is configured to connect to your Wi-Fi router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection rather than a Wi-Fi connection.

Post back if you want to try that type of setup and are not sure of the details.

Apr 11, 2022 6:41 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello again, and thanks for the fast answers! I tried setting the airport express up with Ethernet and it worked! I unplugged it and set it up by the stereo in our living room where we don’t have an Ethernet cable. I powered the thing up and it worked wirelessly again! I guess it needed som help being set up at first? It now is part of my network and I can stream music to it without problems.

My dad, now thinking I’m some sort of “Apple-Guru” gave me another airport express and that is now also fixed. Third time is an old Apple TV… It now works with Ethernet cable, but says my Apple-id password and Wi-Fi password is wrong (they are not). I guess this is a topic for another thread.

Thanks for the help! Really great to still see this help forum work as well as it did years ago. Cheers!

Airport Express A1392 failing to connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.