You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to back up, i was under the impression the old back ups would delete. However my external HDD is saying there is not enough room.

I am trying to back up using time machine, I was under the impression the old back ups would delete. However my external HDD is saying there is not enough room. I have 500 GB and the backup is 426gb

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 8:58 AM

Sorry for my units-confusion. I seem to get the units wrong a lot.

The computer I learned programming on had 4K of RAM, and "mass storage" was paper tape.

--------

your drive does not appear to be big enough for the way you use your computer.

You can ADD an additional drive at any time, and Time machine will start a new stand-alone backup set on the new drive. Then the old drive can be removed at any time.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2022 8:58 AM in response to Rif_B

Sorry for my units-confusion. I seem to get the units wrong a lot.

The computer I learned programming on had 4K of RAM, and "mass storage" was paper tape.

--------

your drive does not appear to be big enough for the way you use your computer.

You can ADD an additional drive at any time, and Time machine will start a new stand-alone backup set on the new drive. Then the old drive can be removed at any time.

Apr 12, 2022 8:19 AM in response to Rif_B

Then I think you will need a larger drive in the long run. It will be very difficult for Time machine to shoehorn an additional 426GB onto a drive with another backup of about that size already in place on that drive.

You could erase the drive and do a fresh backup, but you will be "working without a net" until the new backup completes, and then in a few days, you might be facing the same issue again.

¿did you leave the drive disconnected for a long time? Usually if Time machine can backup small pieces frequently, it does not run into a 426MB roadblock.

Recommended drive size is at least 2.5 times the size of what needs to be saved, or larger. That gives long term trouble-free operation (set and forget).

I am trying to back up, i was under the impression the old back ups would delete. However my external HDD is saying there is not enough room.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.