You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File disappeared from download folder.

I downloaded a file from the internet, it went into the download folder, when I went back a couple of days later the file was gone from the download folder. Whats up?

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 4:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 6:07 PM

dxo144 wrote:

I downloaded a file from the internet, it went into the download folder, when I went back a couple of days later the file was gone from the download folder. Whats up?

Did you look in your recent local snapshots...even without Time machine plugged in , it keeps local snapshots for 24-48 hour depending on available storage

About Time Machine local snapshots: About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

restore items backed up with Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2022 6:07 PM in response to dxo144

dxo144 wrote:

Did you look in your recent local snapshots...even without Time machine plugged in , it keeps local snapshots for 24-48 hour depending on available storage

About Time Machine local snapshots: About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

restore items backed up with Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2022 10:54 AM in response to dxo144

Check the Trash if you have not emptied the Trash. If you are using Safari and have the Safari default preferences (set to open "safe" file types), then any files downloaded which are part of an archive like .zip, will have the items extracted (aka "opened") and the .zip file deleted automatically. Look for a folder instead of a file in case this happened.

File disappeared from download folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.