You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased iPad still thinks it is linked to my apple id

I completely reset my iPad 3, and sent it to a person in another state, who wanted to use it.

She cannot proceed with using it because it says it is linked to my apple id. When I look at my device list, this device is NOT listed. Only my phone, current iPad 6, and my mac are listed. How does she proceed? I don't want to send her my apple id and password, and it's expensive for her to ship it back.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 11:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 11:36 AM

If you log into www.icloud.com/find and click "All Devices" at the top of the screen, is it shown there?

You can do the following from What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support remotely without divulging your password:

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device, use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
  6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2022 11:36 AM in response to LaWeezel

If you log into www.icloud.com/find and click "All Devices" at the top of the screen, is it shown there?

You can do the following from What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support remotely without divulging your password:

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device, use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
  6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.

Apr 13, 2022 1:37 PM in response to LaWeezel

LaWeezel wrote:

This device doesn’t show up on my list of devices when I login to the website and look at my list.. As I said, it isn’t there on my lists. But apparently it thinks it is still there.

I'm not sure if you are aware that there are different Apple websites with different lists of devices for different purposes. The one that counts for the purposes of this discussion is the following from my previous post:

Apr 13, 2022 1:14 PM in response to FoxFifth

This device doesn’t show up on my list of devices when I login to the website and look at my list.. As I said, it isn’t there on my lists. But apparently it thinks it is still there.

I don’t use iCloud, and I’ve never used Apple Pay. She can’t login to my Apple ID because she doesn’t have the information. However she can’t use the iPad at all because it thinks it’s still logged in. It is stuck at a screen telling her to log into my apple id. And it was completely erased before I sent it to her, using the suggested steps.

So, none of this applies.

Can she bring it to an Apple store and have them do some magic?

Erased iPad still thinks it is linked to my apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.