You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting iTunes library and re importing

how can I remove all music from iTunes app and re-import my library

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 3:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 5:05 PM

With iTunes closed make a copy of the iTunes Library.itl file inside your iTunes folder as a backup just in case. Then delete the original file and delete it from the trash. Delete the Album Artwork folder too. iTunes will create a new empty library when you next launch it. You can add your media to the new library.

Why do you want to do this? There may be a better approach. If you have tracks in .wav format they will be missing album and artist details when imported to the new library.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2022 5:05 PM in response to btharp

With iTunes closed make a copy of the iTunes Library.itl file inside your iTunes folder as a backup just in case. Then delete the original file and delete it from the trash. Delete the Album Artwork folder too. iTunes will create a new empty library when you next launch it. You can add your media to the new library.

Why do you want to do this? There may be a better approach. If you have tracks in .wav format they will be missing album and artist details when imported to the new library.

tt2

Apr 15, 2022 6:27 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your quick response. I don't have tracks in .wav format, so I'm not worried about missing album or artist details. Outside of this apple thread, I did find the answer that you also just gave me above, and it worked. But I also did a search on duplicates after I re-imported my library and I had 1190 of them! Somewhere along the way things went a muck and I wanted to clean up everything. Trouble is if you reimport a 'bad' library you get some of the same troubles, ha ha. But the dupes are gone now, and I gained back about 50 gb on my drive, woo hoo. Thanks again.

Deleting iTunes library and re importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.