You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Company Ownership On Old Mac

So I found this old MacBook that my brother left at the house because it was broken and I ended up working on it and fixing myself.

When I got it on, I installed MacOS Sierra then was told that the MacBook was configured by “Segment.io” which I assume is the company it came from, and it said I needed credentials to use it. Is there a way to bypass this or delete ownership so I can use this computer like normal?

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 8:39 AM

The former owner must do this:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Apr 17, 2022 8:39 AM in response to JayHarris1224

When I left a former employer, I negotiated with a manager to provide me with a letter that proved the Mac transfer of ownership to me, and all software licenses associated with it. That Mac was not under any corporate administration.

I hope that your brother has a comparable document that you could provide to the corporate owner of that Mac and have them remove their administrative fingerprint from it so you could use it normally. Hopefully, and not with any incriminating intent for your brother, the corporation is not showing that Mac was stolen.

Company Ownership On Old Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.