You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini won't shut down after attemting to install Monterey

I tried to install Monterey on my Mac Mini. This particular Mac mini was introduced in late 2014 which, based on the table on Apple Support is compatible. The OS downloads and spends a good hour setting itself up. If I remember correctly, it even tells me to restart my mini to start the install. Nothing happens. The Mini won't restart. I've used the off switch to turn the mini off and on. Thankfully the Mini does come up.

The OS is still Big Sur. However, when I try shut down the mini using Shut Down or Restart in finder or any other of the ways to shut it down, it clears the desktop and goes do farther. I've even logoff my account and tried to shut down using the available accounts screen. Nogo.

The mouse can move the cursor but nothing else happens. No menus, just an empty desktop with the usual but empty desktop background.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MG

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 11:23 AM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2022 3:50 PM in response to den.thed

I found a solution. I powered up using the option + command + R keys. That's ALT + Windows Key + R for PC keyboards. It allowed me to install Monterey and run normally. It now reboots and all that good stuff from a normal working OS.

Did get the "less than a minute" remaining" screen for 20 minutes or so while installation was going on. Powered off and then powered on and it came up sort of. I got the thunderbolt icon floating around my screen. A second power on/off cycle took care of that.

Since I am a PC guy it took google to teach me a few basics.

Anyway all is well and wondering what the next challenge will be.

Mini won't shut down after attemting to install Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.