You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external monitor with iMac

For several years I used an old 19” Acer monitor as a second display, attached via its VGA port to my iMac (2011 model). After I bought a iMac 2019 model, I again used the same monitor attached via its VGA port to my iMac 2019 with a lightning to VGA adapter cable. 

This worked well for about 2 years, but abruptly the monitor screen began to flash off then back on, not in a regular pattern but on average several times a minute. When it did so, the iMac screen was affected in a similar though not identical way, keystrokes begin to lag, and sometimes the whirling beachball starts whirling very fast.

I could not find out what had gone wrong, so I disconnected the monitor and bought a new Acer LCD monitor—model K202HQL . Today I attached it via its VGA port to my iMac 2019 with a lightning to VGA adapter cable. To my dismay the exact same problem happened right away. This tells me I am doing something wrong, but what? The iMac continues to run OS 10.15 (currently 10.15.7). When the Acer is disconnected, the iMac performs well.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 12:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 1:26 PM

+1 VGA is analog. Your best bet is to use a USB-C to HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI adapter, depending on what the Acer has for digital inputs.

Also have a look at > Connect an external display to your iMac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 19, 2022 1:13 PM in response to den.thed

good answer. the cable was good, and because the adapter was only 14 months old i figured it could not be that--but obviously it was. i got a usb c to dvi adapter (the new monitor has vga and dvi inputs) and it is working fine now.

also i learned a lesson--dont assume anything, test it

thank you. i hope i have been able to change my evaluation from helpful to this solved it

external monitor with iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.