You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot "put back" file from Trash

When I open Trash, right-click on a file, then select Put Back, I get the following error message: "file name" could not be put back. "file name" doesn't exist anymore. Attached is a screenshot.

I did restart my MacBook Pro in Safe Mode, as suggested in another thread, but I got the same error message.

I also will mention that, to solve an unrelated problem, Apple recommended that I fully erase my Mac (taking it back to factory state), then reinstall macOS and all my applications and data. I did this, and it solved the problem in question. But it did not solve the Put Back problem

FYI I am on version 12.3.1 of macOS Monterey. Anyone have a solution for this?

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 11:40 AM

Hello PommePourMoi,

Based on the steps you’ve already taken, it may be a good idea to reach out to Apple Support to look further into this with you. Just to verify, if you drag the item out of the Trash, does that work? Test to verify and get back to us with the results.

Also, let us know if this is a file you deleted or if an app auto deleted it. 

We’ll use that to determine how to proceed.

Take care. 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2022 11:40 AM in response to PommePourMoi

Hello PommePourMoi,

Based on the steps you’ve already taken, it may be a good idea to reach out to Apple Support to look further into this with you. Just to verify, if you drag the item out of the Trash, does that work? Test to verify and get back to us with the results.

Also, let us know if this is a file you deleted or if an app auto deleted it. 

We’ll use that to determine how to proceed.

Take care. 

Cannot "put back" file from Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.