You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

universal control stops working

Universal control allows me to use one mouse and one keyboard to control two computers that are side-by-side on my desk. However, the feature stops working frequently. I noticed that screen saver on either computer seems to break the link. There are other times when both monitors are on that the link breaks.

Universal control is a really nice feature when it works.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 11:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 7:49 AM

Rapportd,

Thanks for replying.

My problem was solved by an Apple tech support agent. I originally contacted him about a printer driver issue. He directed me to close all programs on my M1 MacBook Pro, and then shut it down. Then, he had me restart it to activate the new printer driver. While I was doing that, I asked if he could determine why Universal Control was disconnecting. My printer worked fine after the computer restarted. To my surprise, Universal Control also worked fine. The tech support agent suggested that 1) restarting the computer allowed Universal Control to reset or 2) the fact that my notebook's lid was open allowed Universal Control to function correctly. Prior to that (when Universal Control wasn't working), the lid on my notebook was closed since I use two desktop monitors and wireless keyboard/mouse. Since then, I have left the lid open about an inch and Universal Control has worked perfectly.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2022 7:49 AM in response to bob32

Rapportd,

Thanks for replying.

My problem was solved by an Apple tech support agent. I originally contacted him about a printer driver issue. He directed me to close all programs on my M1 MacBook Pro, and then shut it down. Then, he had me restart it to activate the new printer driver. While I was doing that, I asked if he could determine why Universal Control was disconnecting. My printer worked fine after the computer restarted. To my surprise, Universal Control also worked fine. The tech support agent suggested that 1) restarting the computer allowed Universal Control to reset or 2) the fact that my notebook's lid was open allowed Universal Control to function correctly. Prior to that (when Universal Control wasn't working), the lid on my notebook was closed since I use two desktop monitors and wireless keyboard/mouse. Since then, I have left the lid open about an inch and Universal Control has worked perfectly.

Apr 20, 2022 2:12 PM in response to prothstein

In a nutshell: you've gotten Universal Control to work across two (Mac) computers. But Universal Control stops working frequently. It also seems like UC is not automatically reconnecting, right?

I had a similar problem between a Mac and an iPad. Be sure to check that (on *both* Macs) in

Preferences -> Displays -> Universal Control

.. all *three* items are checked. Definitely including:

"Automatically reconnect to any nearby Mac or iPad"

Whenever either Mac's screen locks and shows its screen saver and/or goes to sleep, the link used by Universal Control to connect up the keyboard & mouse will disconnect. With "Automatically reconnect ..." the link should reconnect without your having to do anything (besides waking up both Macs up again).

... As long as the systems aren't blocked from signaling each other that they're awake...

For me, a system Firewall was what was preventingthat. Check the firewall status on both systems in Preferences -> Security & Privacy. If either runs a firewall is (i.e., "Firewall: On), go into Firewall Advanced Settings -> Firewall Options and make sure incoming connections are allowed, at least for these two processes:

rapportd

Universal Control.app

universal control stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.