You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

createinstallmedia : no such file

Trying to get my old Macbook working which ran Catalina until a recent MacOS update fiasco. Couldn't do that so reinstalled Lion 10.8.5 with the intention of upgrading to Catalina with USB stick. Am trying to create this USB stick on another Mac with Big Sur 11.6.5. So downloaded the installer "Install macOS Catalina" and this time am leaving it in the Downloads folder and not placing it in the Applications folder so my Terminal command looks like this:

sudo /Downloads/install\ macOS\ catalina.app/contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /volumes/Samsung_USB

terminal msg:

sudo: /Downloads/install macOS catalina.app/contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

I can't find any typos in my terminal command--but maybe I'm blind! Any help would be appreciated.....as I just want to get Catalina installed once again. (Restoring via TImeMachine almost worked, but restart hung near the end). Ergo trying the USB stick approach.)

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 1:37 PM

Thanks you Sharhari! You got it right and Apple has it wrong. From Apple's Support Page:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For Catalina, Apple has this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

and there is no tilde in front of /Applications.

Putting the tilde in as suggested gives

sudo ~/Downloads/install\ macOS\ catalina.app/contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /volumes/MyVolume

and the Createinstallmedia app is found and creation on the USB stick proceedes as expected.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2022 1:37 PM in response to Sharhari

Thanks you Sharhari! You got it right and Apple has it wrong. From Apple's Support Page:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For Catalina, Apple has this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

and there is no tilde in front of /Applications.

Putting the tilde in as suggested gives

sudo ~/Downloads/install\ macOS\ catalina.app/contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /volumes/MyVolume

and the Createinstallmedia app is found and creation on the USB stick proceedes as expected.

Apr 21, 2022 4:12 PM in response to Sharhari

The stated parameters for How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support are not correct for installing Catalina. There should be a tilde (~) in front of the source file

sudo ~/Downloads/install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Or is this because I chose to put the source file in Downloads instead of Applications?

Apr 21, 2022 12:42 PM in response to Shubus23

As per the error the file maybe missing in the downloaded app.

In Mac Finder:

1. Navigate to the app file in the Finder.
  2. Now right-click on the install macOS catalina.app file and select “Show Package Contents”.
  3. Then navigate to Contents > Resources to find if the actual command file(createinstallmedia) exists in the path.

or

In Terminal

ls -l /Downloads/install\ macOS\ catalina.app/contents/Resources

to get a list of file in the above location and make sure you have a file named "createinstallmedia" with approx 100KB size.

Apr 21, 2022 12:54 PM in response to WheelieNick

I renamed my USB stick to MyVolume and ran this in Terminal:

sudo /Downloads/install\ macOS\ catalina.app/contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /volumes/MyVolume

and no joy...same error:

sudo: /Downloads/install macOS catalina.app/contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

It was worth a shot, I guess. Thanks for trying to help

createinstallmedia : no such file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.