You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System storage

Hi there,

are there any ways to free up storage space on MacBook. I have done all that I can think of to try salvage space such as deleting cache files, unused apps and documents are put on a hard drive. I have made sure trash bin is emptied and any clutter has been removed. Even though I have completed this my 121GB of storage is almost used up. If anyone has any advice to give that would be much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 6:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 7:48 AM

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2022 7:48 AM in response to alannablain

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Apr 22, 2022 11:41 AM in response to alannablain

Thank your telling us specifically what things you have done. The long and short of it is that data must be removed to increase storage. At this point your best solution would be to buy and install an external drive. Then you could copy files and data onto it, then delete those files from your HD to clear needed space. Say to do and problem solved. Most external dives come with a vendor provided USB cable, so connection is easy. Sometimes it may have to be reformatted to match your HD.

System storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.