You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain access

I just bought a new Macbook Pro 16" 2021. I love it except my keychain access password is not being accepted. Help! I don't want to have to change it because I don't want to lose all my saved passwords. Any ideas?? The keychain access password worked just fine on my old computer. So, what happened?! Thank you in advance!

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 11:10 AM

IndyCindy14 wrote:

I just bought a new Macbook Pro 16" 2021. I love it except my keychain access password is not being accepted. Help! I don't want to have to change it because I don't want to lose all my saved passwords. Any ideas?? The keychain access password worked just fine on my old computer. So, what happened?! Thank you in advance!

Typically the Keychain password is the admin psswd.

If you changed the admin, the keychain psswd stays the same.

if you change keychain psswd it starts anew- you lose all the old psswd

If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple ...

Verify you leave the padlock unlocked on login keychain

Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2022 11:10 AM in response to IndyCindy14

IndyCindy14 wrote:

Typically the Keychain password is the admin psswd.

If you changed the admin, the keychain psswd stays the same.

if you change keychain psswd it starts anew- you lose all the old psswd

If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple ...

Verify you leave the padlock unlocked on login keychain

Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Keychain access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.