You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Library and local files

Hi,

I need help making Apple Music "see" my local files...

A long time ago, I moved my Music Library to an external SSD drive (due to lack of storage on the Mac mini itself). Everything went well. I am also a MusicMatch subscriber.

One day, the external SSD drive came loose and was temporarily disconnected.

I didn't realise it immediately and I think as a result, Music went on working but behaved as though I didn't have any music locally, it just played everything from the Cloud. Then, one day, I was offline for a while and that's when I realised the issue as no music played anymore

The drive is plugged again, in Preferences -> Files m the path to the Media folder is correct and I clicked many times on Update library but all my files (when I go to Get Info) appear as "Cloud". None of them have a physical location on my hard drive...

If I re-add an album (by dragging it from Finder to Music), Music will list all the tracks twice... one from the Cloud, one from the disk which is horrible.

I tried to create a new Library from scratch and re-add everything (which would loose all my playlists, a tough decision) but that didn't work either, as soon as I started Music with Option Key, created a new library , all my albums re-appear (probably from Cloud), I tried re-adding an album but again, the horrible double track listing

I exported the library to XML to see the content of the XML file and I can tell that all my files indeed miss the <Location> entry with the file path so ... how to make Music reconcile what is in the library with what is on the disk in the Media folder ?

Thanks for your help

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 11:16 AM

After adding your locally stored content sign out of your Apple ID, then sign in again. That should resolve all of the cloud duplicates.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

Music Library and local files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.