You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding an external display

Is M1 chip required to have a external display? I have a MacBook Pro (13", 2020, four thunderbolt 3 ports) I would like to connect 1 external display. Can I with what I have?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 2:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 2:31 PM

Yes your mac support external displays

See:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) - Technical Specifications

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external 6K display with 6016-by-3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors, or
  • One external 5K display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors, or
  • Up to two external 4K displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output 

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

You can connect almost any screen, but most will require an adapter

For example for HDMI:

Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple

Satechi Aluminum USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter - Apple

Good luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2022 2:31 PM in response to RFG13

Yes your mac support external displays

See:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) - Technical Specifications

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external 6K display with 6016-by-3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors, or
  • One external 5K display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors, or
  • Up to two external 4K displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output 

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

You can connect almost any screen, but most will require an adapter

For example for HDMI:

Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple

Satechi Aluminum USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter - Apple

Good luck!

Adding an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.