You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey installation on late 2015 iMac

Late 2015 iMac with El Capitan, installation stuck on 23 minutes remaining and keep restarting...

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 2:46 AM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2022 12:10 PM in response to ku4hx

Thanks for your reply, I've downloaded the whole Monterey on my iMac then started the installation since my internet isn't very fast. It was stuck at the black screen with Apple logo on it, and a progress bar showing "about 29 minutes remaining", when it went to 23 minutes the iMac restarted. Some time it went to the sceen with the Apple logo and progress bar without the time and restarted again in a very short time, sometimes it went to the first sceen I mentioned above, and kept looping for hours.

I've tried to use command+R to go to the recovery process, earesed the startup volume and reinstall the OS, same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2022 1:24 PM in response to SummerLi

At this point consider this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-mac-os-x-using-removable-usb-drive/

If you can get Monterey downloaded via the App Store (don't continue the installation, do Command + Q to quit), you can create a bootable flash drive and install from it.

An easier way to create the bootable flash drive (not involving Terminal) is the app Install Disk Creator. It's free and safe.

Monterey installation on late 2015 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.