You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you reinstall Safari when it is not working properly?

How do you reinstall Safari when it is not working properly? I cannot find Safari in App Store so when I delete it how do I get to reinstall it? Every time I go to exit it says that Safari is not responding.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 2, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 9:25 AM

The App Store use to have The App there that you could install without having to reinstall the whole operating system. What happened to the App?

6 replies

May 2, 2022 9:29 AM in response to AlaskaDerringer

AlaskaDerringer wrote:

Not working how?

Hold the Shift key when you (re)launch Safari is a bit of a 'safeboot' for the app —this keeps a problem window/tab from opening on launch.

You should always have more than one browser on your machine since this is how you conveniently reach out to the Internet. If one browser fails you will have a backup.

Re-installing the macOS on top of your existing macOS is how you refresh the baked in apps.

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

May 2, 2022 11:19 AM in response to AlaskaDerringer

With Monterey Safari is part of the system and can't be deleted. If you're having problems with Safari they the following in order as needed:

1 - launch Safari with the Shift key held down.

2 - clear out the History: History menu ➙ Clear History ➙ All History

3 - boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

May 2, 2022 9:31 AM in response to AlaskaDerringer

AlaskaDerringer wrote:

The App Store use to have The App there that you could install without having to reinstall the whole operating system. What happened to the App?

i'm guessing that in mojave and before, you were able to install safari on it's own. but as of catalina, macOS is a "sealed" system that can't be modified by anyone but apple. what "used to be" is no guarantee that it will continue on subsequent macOSes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.