You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library .xml Error

Hi all,

I'm trying to export my iTunes Library.xml file so that I can add it to my NAS drive so that Sonos can read it and recreate the playlists I have in iTunes itself; however, when the .xml file is being exported, it is being exported with an error that renders it completely useless as it can't be read!

The error message being produced is 'No error detail available. Location: Line 2, Column 9.' - there's no further explanation as to what the issue is, but it is rendering the file useless. iTunes has only started doing this since the last update and it has been 100% fine until now. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Because the file cannot be opened by software: Word, Excel, or Notepad etc., I can't even look at it to try and establish what the problem might be!!

Any ideas on how to fix this? I kind of need it working, TBH.

Cheers,

Andy

Posted on May 2, 2022 10:09 AM

5 replies

Jun 8, 2022 3:31 AM in response to DrWhoFan1981

not a complete solution, but i have had a similar problem recently and found that exporting the playlists from itunes/apple music in m3u format rather than xml format (which is an option in Export-Playlist in Music/itunes but not in Export-Library) meant that Sonos will see the playlist files when it wouldn't recognise the same playlists when exported as xml. a bit of a pain as the Library.xml file from apple mis/itunes is also not recognised, but using m3u format export for individual playlists does mean you can get some playlists (albeit quite manually) into Sonos.

This only started happening for me a few weeks ago, so i suspect something might have changed with a recent update to itunes/music that means the xml files are not as they were and Sonos is no longer reading them as it was able to do before.

iTunes Library .xml Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.