You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

25w charging brick on my iphone 12

is it okay to use 25w charging brick on my iphone 12? will it affect my battery? and why my phone heats up while im charging? i bought iphone 12 last month

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on May 4, 2022 4:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 12:46 PM

hi.. im using a 25w(third party certified brick)

on iphone 12.. will it damage my phone?

7 replies

May 4, 2022 7:23 AM in response to nohin

It should be fine as long as you trust the quality of the power supply. The phone controls/limits the current/power that it accepts. A power supply (like a power adapter, USB power bank, computer, etc) doesn't force current. It's a voltage-controlled source - typically with a maximum output rating. One could theoretically have a 500W capable power supply and it should be fine as long as the voltage is steady at 5V or 9V, the same way that a night light that uses 0.5W can be plugged into an outlet rated to supply 1800W.

If you're really concerned, it's also safe to use older USB-A power adapters and USB-A to Lightning cables. The would limit the max charging current. Even though newer iPhones accept 5V or 9V input, the battery charges at less than 5V, but I believe current with 5V would be limited.

May 5, 2022 1:05 AM in response to nohin

It is normal for batteries to become warm during the charge cycle. This is caused by the energy the charger is putting into the battery. In general, the larger the charge current, the warmer the batteries will become, I also fast-charge iPhone 12 Pro with a 20W charger and sometimes with my 61W MacBook Pro charger, if I need to bring it out and I forget to charge. Its okay if the iPhone is hot, but not too hot at the point where it feels that you touch a preheated oven.

May 7, 2022 5:17 PM in response to EugeneAskWhy

EugeneAskWhy wrote:
It’s okay to use third party Made For iPhone bricks (MFI Certified), these bricks brands like Anker are good and well known for MFI certified Products.

It's not totally necessary, but it takes some judgement. I haven't seen any USB-C power adapters that are marketed as MFi unless they might have something like a captive Lightning cable.

25w charging brick on my iphone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.