You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an older iMac act as a mirrored display attached to my new mac air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2022 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 11:48 AM

See the strict limitations—both hardware and software—on the obsolete Target Display Mode in this Apple article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Your "new mac air" would need to be a 2019 or older model running macOS 10.15 Catalina or older. M1 Macs are not supported.

The iMac would have to be a 2009-2010, 27-inch mode,l or a 2011 through Mid 2014 (any screen size) to work. Cabling and adaptors required for some combos can approach US$100.

TDM is dead technology. Apple started its deprecation in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020. It was never as good as a free-standing external monitor, and has not improved with age.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2022 11:48 AM in response to 767flight

See the strict limitations—both hardware and software—on the obsolete Target Display Mode in this Apple article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Your "new mac air" would need to be a 2019 or older model running macOS 10.15 Catalina or older. M1 Macs are not supported.

The iMac would have to be a 2009-2010, 27-inch mode,l or a 2011 through Mid 2014 (any screen size) to work. Cabling and adaptors required for some combos can approach US$100.

TDM is dead technology. Apple started its deprecation in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020. It was never as good as a free-standing external monitor, and has not improved with age.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.