You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of unwanted icons on my desktop

While installing a new external hard drive, an icon for my Mac HD suddenly appeared and even though I went into Finder Preferences and unchecked all of the devices listed, it still remains. Also, how do I get the icon for the new external hard drive off the desktop and into my app folder?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 7, 2022 11:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 11:45 AM

What year iMac? My 2015 runs the latest version of Monterey (12.3.1) beautifully.

If you can, I'd suggest you upgrade to a more modern OS with greater security and more features and maybe solve your problem too.

The Application folder is for apps, not drives. I guess you could try dragging it there.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Calcharmac

What year iMac? My 2015 runs the latest version of Monterey (12.3.1) beautifully.

If you can, I'd suggest you upgrade to a more modern OS with greater security and more features and maybe solve your problem too.

The Application folder is for apps, not drives. I guess you could try dragging it there.

How to get rid of unwanted icons on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.