You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus on my MCP?

For some time now, while using my Mac, I have been receiving annoying pop-up

windows with text on my desktop that only appear for a few moments. It doesn't happen often

but when it happens it is a real torture. They appear briefly with a whistle.

Apparently, there is no relation with any of the installed applications.

Only, by running ClamXav, I find the file "Unix.Ransomware.Evilquest-9757372-0" 

(file associated with Facetime.app), as an infected file.

Unfortunately, I could not find this infected file in the quarantine folder, even using 

the view commands hidden files [CTRL + SHIFT +.] from the system root, or the other command from a Terminal window: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder"

So I couldn't remove it.

Can anyone help me?

P.S.:

These are the Machine/model info on my Mac: MacBookPro8,2 with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Thank you very much for any suggestion/help you can provide to me.

Massimo

[Link Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 8, 2022 8:34 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 8, 2022 10:03 AM in response to urbam

Bob, I run the tool and obtained the report, as plain text. With the "Copy" function on it, I tried to post here but I’ve exceeded the 5000 character limit for the post. How to use the additional text feature?

Strange thing: I removed ClamXav app, but it appear as last in the report yet (no longer in the application folder).

May 8, 2022 11:28 AM in response to urbam

Delete this file & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.ioBroker.LaunchAtLogin.plist

~ tilde indicates your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents, and click Go.

Virus on my MCP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.