You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I resetup my iPad and use one user id for both my iPhone and my iPad

Posted on May 8, 2022 2:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 5:59 AM

Assuming that you wish to keep data that is currently locally stored on the device for which you would like to change the AppleID…

Begin by de-activating the Activation Lock that will otherwise, sooner or later, impact future use of the device. To do so, ensure that you have disabled Find My [device] from Settings:

Settings > [Your Name / current AppleID] > Find My > Find My [device] > Find My [device] - set to OFF

Next, you can sign-out of your current AppleID. When you do so, you will have opportunity to “keep a local copy” of iCloud data (Passwords, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Contacts etc.) on your iPad. If you accept, a copy of this data will be retained and subsequently merged with the iCloud data of the AppleID account that you later use. If instead you decline, this data will be erased from the iPad - and will not be accessible after signing-in with a different AppleID.

To sign-out from the AppleID that you no longer wish to use:

Settings > [Your Name / current AppleID] > Sign Out

After signing-out, a forced restart of the iPad is recommended:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After the iPad has restarted, you can sign-in to your preferred AppleID. If you elected to keep a local copy of data from your previous AppleID, this will be merged with data in your preferred AppleID account.

Finally, you can re-enable Find My on your device - enabling the Activation Lock that protects your iPad from theft and unauthorised reuse.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2022 5:59 AM in response to somaia272

Assuming that you wish to keep data that is currently locally stored on the device for which you would like to change the AppleID…

Begin by de-activating the Activation Lock that will otherwise, sooner or later, impact future use of the device. To do so, ensure that you have disabled Find My [device] from Settings:

Settings > [Your Name / current AppleID] > Find My > Find My [device] > Find My [device] - set to OFF

Next, you can sign-out of your current AppleID. When you do so, you will have opportunity to “keep a local copy” of iCloud data (Passwords, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Contacts etc.) on your iPad. If you accept, a copy of this data will be retained and subsequently merged with the iCloud data of the AppleID account that you later use. If instead you decline, this data will be erased from the iPad - and will not be accessible after signing-in with a different AppleID.

To sign-out from the AppleID that you no longer wish to use:

Settings > [Your Name / current AppleID] > Sign Out

After signing-out, a forced restart of the iPad is recommended:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After the iPad has restarted, you can sign-in to your preferred AppleID. If you elected to keep a local copy of data from your previous AppleID, this will be merged with data in your preferred AppleID account.

Finally, you can re-enable Find My on your device - enabling the Activation Lock that protects your iPad from theft and unauthorised reuse.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.