You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook applications very slow to load

I recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), as my 2017 MacBook Pro was getting tired. The hype for the M1 chip was that it was blindingly fast. But I'm not finding that at all - if anything, it seems to be slower, with many apps taking noticeably longer to launch than on my older laptop.

I'm disappointed, but I wonder if there might be something slowing my machine down, or something wrong with the hardware. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 9, 2022 11:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 11:14 PM

aul_C_G Said:

"I'm disappointed, but I wonder if there might be something slowing my machine down, or something wrong with the hardware. Any thoughts?"

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2022 11:14 PM in response to Paul_C_G

aul_C_G Said:

"I'm disappointed, but I wonder if there might be something slowing my machine down, or something wrong with the hardware. Any thoughts?"

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

May 11, 2022 8:23 AM in response to Paul_C_G

<< many apps taking noticeably longer to launch than on my older laptop. >>

The important test is not time-to-launch, which can be slightly longer. The important test is whether that are fast enough in daily use.

Your M1 Mac uses Rosetta-2 translation/emulation to run x86 apps. Many x86 Apps will be translated at launch, ONCE.

according to wikipedia:

In addition to the just-in-time (JIT) translation support, Rosetta 2 offers ahead-of-time compilation (AOT), with the x86-64 code fully translated, just once, when an application without a universal binary is installed on an Apple silicon Mac.[9]

May 12, 2022 1:39 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yeah, it's not slightly longer though. We're talking things taking over a minute to start, which might have taken 5 secs with my old intel MBP.

However, I think I've got it sorted. Safe mode made it quite a lot better, and I discovered that one of my login items was the old MenuMeters pref pane. Got rid of that, and things have been a heap better since. Seeming much more snappy, more like what I was expecting.

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2022 7:55 PM in response to papasmiles

As a followup - it wasn't quite the full fix that I'd initially thought. It still becomes *very* sluggish to open certain programs. Firefox was a real problem, to the point where I abandoned it and moved to Safari. Chrome and Malwarebytes can open quickly, but at times take over a minute to open, occasionally even two minutes.

No idea what's going on there. Clearly very abnormal behaviour.

M1 Macbook applications very slow to load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.